Monday, November 30, 2009

Growing up Online part 1

As someone who did not grow up in the digital age (I realize that I am dating myself), I am amazed at some of the things that get posted online. I did not have a computer to do my homework on, heck, I thought I was high tech when I got a use IBM Selectric electric typewriter my junior year of high school. I did not actually have a computer until the mid-late '90s and did not get my first laptop until 2000. I guess in dissemination, I am a late adopter, waiting until all the bugs get worked out before I buy most things techie.

That's not to say that I don't love or could live without technology now that I have it. I admit that the first thing I do when I wake up most mornings is turn on my computer and check email. I then check Facebook to see what's been happening since last time I was on it.

But I don't understand the need to publish your life and live your life in front of a screen. In Growing up Online, the film illustrated how important and vital the virtual world has become to that generation. I understand the connecting with friends and being able to say and do things online that kids would never think of doing or saying face to face, but am baffled about what they post. Sometimes it seems that kids believe they are posting in a vacuum, that only those they want to see the post will see it.

There are consequences to posting your life on line and kids just don't seem to understand that once it's posted, it's there forever for anyone to see. Prime example, my cousin's daughter had her friends over one day and the parents weren't home yet. The girls took pictures of themselves in various parts of the house, including standing on the counter and on a ledge 30 feet above the bottom floor. She then posted those pictures on Facebook, and was upset when her mom busted her for the pictures. She knows her mom has access to her Facebook, all her aunts and other family have accounts, and her mom has her own account. When I asked her about it, she said she didn't think mom would find out. Again, given the info my cousin's daughter knew, I am baffled by her thinking.

I guess I am getting older when I agree with the mom from the film. The computer should be placed in an area where an adult can see it and not in a kid's room. And I am conflicted over whether or not a parent should have unlimited access to what his/her kids are doing online. Where does a parent draw the line between a child's privacy and safety? I have to wonder because privacy does not seem to be an issue for some kids online because they put it all out there, they just don't want their parents to know.

Since I don't have kids, I don't know the answer (nor do people that have parents I'm sure). How do you make a teenager (who thinks he/she is immortal) anyway see the potential for danger and yet not be afraid to go out in the world and experience life?????

No comments:

Post a Comment